Thursday, April 4, 2013

Family

Let me start by saying I cannot believe tomorrow is Friday.  I have been on "vacation" this week enjoying my daughter who is on spring break from school.  It has absolutely flown by and I can't believe that it's almost over.  I'm going to miss having all of this time to hang with the kiddo and immerse myself in scrapbooking fun.

One of my favorite things to scrap is my family.  Candid shots are my fave.  When I came across Ashley Horton's layout "Life," I knew I had found the perfect design to showcase this snapshot. The half circle paper scraps, the bold title, and the arrows were right up my alley. I do not often borrow from other designs, beyond the occasional sketch, but Ashley's work was so spot on for what I had in mind for this picture, I knew this would be the exception. While this layout doesn't do the original justice, I love it just the same. I took some elements from her page and changed them a bit, working with Heidi Swapp chipboard, some stitching, some Little Yellow Bicycle embellies, and some Oh Snap Project Life papers. The result feels perfect to me.
Here is the finished product, and below are some close-ups of the details I put into the page.


I penciled the sketch of an arrow then filled it in with black embroidery floss.  Love the way it looks with the chipboard hearts in the middle.  Below it is a stamped heart arrow, which I went over with a black marker to deepen the shade.

More stitching below the photo with two strips of paper, cut at the ends to resemble ribbons.

A hand-cut, double-layered heart with a Heidi Swapp arrow perfectly covered an "oopsie" in the lower left corner.

I should also mention that I am currently loving using the left-over vellum paper-tear strips as borders...I used them both above and below this photo...in honor of scrap my mama never taught me BUT would be proud of...I try to use every bit of product in my stash.  Because my mama did in fact teach me that there's a place for everything.  In this case, there's even a place for the paper tear strips from a wire ringed vellum paper pad. 

Thanks for looking!




3 comments:

  1. So sweet Lo! I'm very happy to read you here :)
    Hugs Tasha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha! Glad you stopped by!! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh yes this layout it perfect. Love that photo a great shot and the colours are so pretty. Love the sewn arrows and the use of the vellum... You have such a wonderful style :D

    ReplyDelete