Friday, August 1, 2014

S365-7 Touch the Sky

Have you checked out the new CSI/Scrap365 collaborative case file?  CLICK HERE to check it out and to see the rest of the CSI design team's inspiration.

I was super excited to be chosen as a featured artist in the August/September issue of Scrap365 with my take on cracking the case. Scrap365 is an awesome magazine chock full of paper crafting inspiration from all over the world.  CLICK HERE to pick up your copy.  And man, I have to say, there is just nothing cooler than seeing your work displayed in the pages of a magazine. I was over the moon when I received my copy! Here is how I cracked the case.



For my evidence, I chose hot air balloons and birds. I decided to try my hand at a sort of Steampunk style for this layout, incorporating lots of vintage details and cogs and gears.  I layered up the background with a marbled mask from Prima, 7 Gypsies stamped hot air balloons, Tim Holtz birds, and a The Crafter's Workshop cog mask, which I brushed modeling paste over.  Then I stamped some more hot air balloons, colored them with Tim Holtz distress inks, and laminated them with Mod Podge, layering them over the stamped balloons with 3-D pop dots.



I had some great suitcase papers (can't remember who made them) in a little mixed media kit, and I fussy cut the pile of suitcases and used it to frame in the bottom right corner of the page.  Then I layered various flowers and a stamped and fussy cut butterfly at the base of the photo.  I wanted to give the illusion of the Little Lady literally floating above the ground (she's on the trampoline jumping her little heart out). :)


I added in a K&Co. bird embellishment, and a little metal lock I had in my stash to provide some different texture in the flowers.  The little typewriter font letters are Tim Holtz, and the sparkly letters are American Craft Thickers.


Remember, you have the entire month to play along with this case file, and the Top 5 entries will serve as CSI Guest Detectives in October.  Happy scrapping and happy Friday everyone!

xoxo,


Shawna

1 comment:

  1. I like the steampunk feel to this layout. It is playful and whimsical. Love the pic of Ireland too. Your background is amazing. So glad I am sorted now and will have time to play along

    ReplyDelete